Thursday, January 15, 2009

didn't expect this....

I came home from work tonight. Gary tells me he got laid-off from his job. He said he went to file for unemployment after he got his paycheck today. He got it @1:30pm. And had to go back to Concentra for a drug test. From what he tells me taking the drug test was a standard policy in these situations. He said things were really bad when they start laying off the apprentices. And since he was the lowest on the "totem pole" at his site...he was the lucky recipient. Hopefully this won't last too long. He told me that sometimes people can be laid off for six weeks or more. He said we'll be all right, but if things got too bad; he would go up the road and apply at Domino's or if he found work anywhere that he got 20 hours or less at he could still keep getting unemployment until he went back to another job sie. And he also mentioned that he could even put his application in at the union hall to be a substitute teacher, if the occasion ever called for it. A long while back one of his teachers asked him if he had ever had any interest in teaching a class. This instructor said he really seemed to pick up things easily...book wise that is. I guess Gary just has that way about him. A long time ago he was studying to be a teacher, but with so many rules and regulations being enforced....you couldn't teach YOUR class the way you wanted to help all your students. He loves being with kids, playing with them, etc. but with the way the education system is now.....just all the passion left him.
I hope to write on a more positive note in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about that. How will this affect your insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure gary said he'd have to look into that....he had some other errands to do also but he said he couldn't get away from the apt. for the phone ringing. If it wasn't his Dad, it was one of the quys he used to work with, the lady from Southern Hills wanting to pre-register me (MRI stuff)before my appt. on Monday, she got some personal info. and we had to pay the co-pay...which was over $300.00! Ouch! And Jimmy called both of mine and Gary's cells...something about he got a msg. from a Shirley that I used to work with at Save a lot, something about profit sharing and something about they needed verification as to where to send the check. I told him I never worked with a Shirley at Save-a-lot, I worked at Sunflower, and Shirley was at Tiger-mart in Bruceton. He says call the number they need to this...I'm thinking it's all just some kind of scam b/c I never did any profit sharing anywhere at any of my past jobs. He leaves me a msg with the # on my cell and also makes this comment about how "scared I was about a lot of things", but and how I needed to call this woman/number...it still sounds like a scam to me....makes me wonder how did they get Mom's number??

    ReplyDelete