Sunday, October 4, 2009

work

I was at work Saturday afternoon. Day was going fair. Didn't expect much, I don't like to work closing shift all that much. I was right in the middle of waiting on a customer when I heard "Cynthia's" voice booming over the speaker. "Christy Nichols please dial ext. 172 or come to the ad office" I was still slicing some meat for this customer and my eyes got as wide as saucers, all the time wondering what did I do now. Going to the office is a 50/50 situation, either you did good or you did bad and you are being wrote up. I finish with the customer and I walk back to the ad office we=here Cynthia is there and she tells me that I have a performance review. She begins to read out word for word every category in my review, all the while I am looking over on the right hand side of the paper where I see every category "solid performance" and two "exceeds expectations". I kinda blocked her reading out, because I was still getting over the shock of being called to the office. She said she wanted to write "needs more confidence in herself" but there wasn't a category for that. So I got a raise which moves me up to $8.65 an hour, but that won't take effect until November 4th. Why the long wait for the new pay rate to go into effect? Why couldn't this start on the next day I was officially clocked in? I guess I'll have to do some secret investigating as to why this is done this way. I just didn't seem fair, but I guess I should be grateful for the raise in pay.
Another friend of mine at work called me last night on my lunch break and told me that he came in to work on Friday, then @ an hour later went back to personnel to pick up his paycheck..then just walked out! Didn't come back! Then he tells me that he had called out for a few days before this and ended up taking those as sick days. He has a new job working for Comcast and he loves it. From what he told me he's making way more than Wal-Mart could ever pay him. Then said "don't tell anybody where I'm at or that you talked to me." Why? What should he care? He got a better job-great for him! I just don't think he should have left Wal-Mart in the way he chose to do it. But that was his decision.....
Monday I have another appt. with Dr. Efobi . Gary's Dad was telling me of a conversation he had with a lady in Camden a few days ago. She also has MS but she goes to see a Dr. Moses at the Vanderbilt MS Clinic. Gary's Dad was all excited telling me about this Dr. Moses, and how this "Susan" was saying how this was a great Dr. I am happy with Dr. Efobi-I know she would welcome it if I went to go see another Dr. to see what his opinion is. I think what is foremost on my mind is having to pay for the visit because we are still making Cobra payments. So we would have to pay what the insurance would not cover, and we just don't have the $$$ for that now.
Gary finally got somewhere with the unemployment checks. For several weeks of trying to log on to the website & not being able to get thru to endless calls only to be either given a "we are too busy" message or an "office hours recording". He got a call from someone from the state via an e-mail I sent (to a family member that works for the state also). She took his information and instead of trying to file for all the back pay he was missing; which would involved a whole lot more paperwork and more waiting, he just filed for a retro of two weeks back pay and now can re-certify on the internet. That was an ease for my mind because I have been fretting over the money situation for a long time. But I won't be truely at ease until Gary is officially back into the apprenticeship program and is working and bringing home a paycheck every week. We need to catch up on the bills, I am still making payments on all my medical bills when I can, and regular household bills, & credit card bills--plus Christmas will be here before we know it.
We are going back home for a visit on Friday. I have a three day weekend from work and since it's mine and Jimmy's birthday...a trip back home is just the thing to make me happy. If nothing happens we plan to leave Friday morning sometime, then stay wherever we reserve a hotel room at for the weekend. I just got to get busy and make my "packing list"-like I always do so I don't forget anything for the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment